Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mellberg Not Ruling Out Juve Move

Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg refused to rule out a move to Juventus next season when asked about his future. The Swedish stopper’s contract with the Villans ends at the end of the current campaign, meaning that from January onwards he will be able to negotiate with other clubs about a Bosman free transfer move.

The Italian press firmly believe that Mellberg will move to Juventus, and the 30-year-old is being coy about his future.


"The situation is the same as before. The focus is on Aston Villa, then we will see,” he replied.

"I understand that there are many rumours since I am out of contract at the end of the season."

Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill however is hoping that his centre-back will stay at the club.

"I don't know if there is anything in the Juventus link and Olof will tell me in his own time if that is the case. Players are free to make decisions here,” O’Neill said.

"This is an important contract for Olof. He has been here seven years and, in terms of the commitment he has given since I've been here, I couldn't ask any more.

“He might think that seven years is a long time at one club in this day and age.

"But I will still think, if we can come up with something which is reasonably suitable, that he might stay at Villa. But if he chooses to go, all he has to do is just let me know.”

www.goal.com - 10/12/2007 18:19

No comments:

Google
 





FOTO UNIK

Goal.com